If you’ve ever attempted a residential painting project yourself and run into some setbacks, you’re not alone. In fact, there are many common problems people face that have simple solutions—like hiring a contractor to take care of painting for you.
Common Home Painting Issues And How To Avoid Them
Some of the most common mishaps we see are related to paint not sticking to the walls or not going on smoothly. Lack of adequate prep and surface contamination are some of the most common culprits.
Here are a few steps to take to help prevent this:
- Thoroughly clean the surface to be painted using warm water and a small amount of gentle soap. Next, wipe the walls clean using just water to remove any residue and allow them adequate time to dry.
- If you have an older home, check if your walls were painted with oil-based paint. This is key because water or latex-based paints won’t adhere to oil based paint. A simple solution is to apply oil based primer first.
- No matter the type of existing paint on the walls or the type of paint to be used, never skip primer. This is essential to help ensure the paint will adhere to the surface.
- Apply paint in conditions within the temperature recommendation for your specific paint. If you try to apply the paint in weather that’s too hot or too cold or in high humidity you may run into problems with how the paint goes on.
- Make sure you apply enough coats of paint and allow enough time between each coat for the paint to dry.
Residential Painting Contractor In Omaha
Many of the most common headaches do-it-yourselfers run into with residential painting can be avoided by having a contractor handle their project.
M.S. Services will ensure your project is carried out to the highest quality and completed in record time.